Q&A With Erica Thomas
With more than two decades of real estate experience in Orange County, Erica Thomas has developed a reputation as a top Newport Beach real estate agent. Due to her integrity, loyalty, and professionalism, Erica is highly sought out in Orange County's red hot housing market.
1. Where were you born and where did you grow up?
I was born at Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach and grew up in Turtle Rock in Irvine.
2. Where do you live now?
3. You’re a mom of four young kids, how do you balance it all?
It's super busy all of the time. It's the "hustle", but I have a lot of help with my kids so that helps with getting them everywhere they need to be. With real estate, I have created a team called the Erica Dee Thomas Group which helps with opening doors and showings all of the above. I feel like it takes a village when you’re a working mom/agent, but it all balances with the right people by your side.
4. Prior to becoming a real estate agent, you had one of the most popular boutiques in Corona del Mar. How do you think your background in fashion and owning a successful boutique shape or influence your career in real estate?
I truly believe having my stores has made my real estate career what it is. I feel like I am super connected with the community and that is really half the battle with real estate.
5. Do you have a specific location that you specialize in?
Yes. I work a ton in Eastside Costa Mesa, Santa Ana Heights (the Equestrian community in Newport), Lido Isle, and Dover Shores. I feel like I am just embedded in these areas with my sphere and community so that is where a lot of my deals happen. I will always work anywhere that a client needs me! I am open to it all.
6. What do you love most about working in the real estate industry?
I love the "hustle" and I love love helping people and getting them into their next chapter.
7. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
I love palettes, boating, beach days, skiing, RV tripping with my family, and really anything outdoors. I love family time and travel.
8. What are some causes that are near and dear to your heart?
My daughter Harper and I are involved in NCL and there are so many great charities that we get to help out with... but my heart is always for the homeless. Anything to help feed them or provide is where you will find me.
9. What are some of your favorite restaurants in the area?
Arc Butcher & Baker, Shorebird and Fable & Spirit
10. Do you have a favorite neighborhood in Orange County?
Lido Isle. I love the community. it's an amazing place to raise a family and you are enjoying living by the water. We are a huge boating family so this really works for us! The amenities on Lido being a resident are awesome with docking at the LIYC and the private beach club.
11. What is your most memorable real estate experience and why?
One of my most memorable was a listing I had that just came about when I was over at a friend's with my kids. I helped this elderly man sell his home and get him moved to the next chapter in his life. We had to clear out and stage to get it ready for market and we got an incredible price for the house with multiple offers. He was just so happy and it really warmed my heart that I was able to help him. This was one of my first sales in real estate and it has really stuck with me.
12. What does a typical day look like?
It's different every day! But I typically am going to showings for my listings or for my clients that are buyers. If I am putting a house up for sale then I am working on the listing with the photographer and videographer and working on marketing. I have a great office at Pacific Sotheby's over off of Newport Center Drive which I will go into each day. If you are working on a deal then you are submitting an offer or negotiating it.
13. Do you have a favorite vacation spot?
14. What are some tips that you might suggest to a homeowner?
Keep up with maintenance on your property. It pays off when your selling.
15. Do you have any pet peeves that you see in homes?
They are all so different, not really.
16. What are some hot features in homes right now that home buyers are most interested in?
I feel like the inventory is so low that buyers are just trying to grab a house and get in! It's so competitive right now with the rates being so low and the inventory so low. Buyers are taking what they can get.
17. What advice would you give someone who is not sure about whether or not they should buy now or wait?
I would say this is a great time to get into buying a house. The rates will never be this low again and you are able to get a home that is worth way more with the lower rates.
18. What are you most excited about?
I am excited that the market is so busy! It's really an incredible time to be in this business.
19. What do you do to relax?
I go on walks with my sweet new puppy Flora! She is a yellow lab retriever from Alabama that we got a few months ago. She is 8 months old. I love walking her with my kids down the stradas on Lido.
20. What do you love most about Orange County?
I love that there is so much to do in the OC!! Great restaurants, shopping, and the beaches are gorgeous. We live in the best place on earth!!! I am biased but It's a little slice of heaven here!!!