IKEA Partnered With South County Outreach in Irvine
As you know, the pandemic has changed our perception of work -- where and how it happens -- and our workspaces -- where they are, how they should function...both at home and at "the office."
This is of course true for the dedicated team at South County Outreach (SCO) in Irvine, as well.
With food and housing insecurities increasing during the pandemic, SCO, a leader in the fight to end hunger and homelessness in Orange County, needed additional staffing to continue to serve the community, but barely had enough space to do so comfortably at their HQ in Irvine. IKEA's local team partnered with SCO to dig into their immediate furnishing needs and completely revamp their space. IKEA transformed the SCO space by bringing down the divided walls and brightening up the space with functional and simplistic furniture pieces (see photos here).
In addition to this being a wonderfully generous donation and heartwarming project, IKEA’s work at SCO provides helpful tips and tricks on how you can rework at-home or "at the office" workspaces to be more efficient in the new pandemic "normal."
Following are some tips that you can glean for your own workspaces from IKEA’s SCO project:
- Any room -- office or otherwise -- can be transformed into a beautiful and functional space that will meet changing needs and wallet sizes. Start with the function that is most important to you whether that is an organization, open collaborative spaces, or multi-functional needs. Identify your most essential need and base your design process around that.
- According to IKEA’s 2021 Life at Home Report, “decluttering spaces are associated with a greater sense of calm. Clutter-free equals being in control, which is important for our mental wellbeing.” Declutter your home and office spaces. Consider the “less is more” approach as a way to increase your productivity, balance your mood, and reduce stress.
- Since the pandemic, there has been a major shift in the way people use and think about their spaces. Now, life is more fluid – and our spaces are changing to reflect this. Think about the role of your home + home office and how it has now transformed into a place for productivity as well as relaxation. Create a space that can adapt to your ever-changing needs. Work, exercise, self-care, cooking, and relaxation are all most likely happening in your same space. To maintain control, draw clear spatial boundaries and make conscious choices about how time is spent at home.
- Maximize your entire space (home and office) with smart solutions. Brighten up your space with functional and simplistic furniture pieces as well as work-from-home solutions that make you more efficient and productive.
- Home is where we live. A home should be a hybrid space for hybrid lifestyles. Carve out space for self-care and self-expression. Your space should not only allow you to be productive and work but also pursue hobbies and personal projects.
If you'd like to get involved and support South County Outreach, check out their website and consider attending this fun upcoming event.
Taste and sip to end hunger and house hope at South County Outreach’s signature fundraising event – Empty Bowls. The event will take place on Thursday, April 7 at the new Segerstrom Shelby Event Center. For more information about the event and sponsorship opportunities, visit sco-oc.org or contact Dennis Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or 949.687.2401.