OC Fair’s Imaginology is back in person this weekend with free STEAM fun
Imaginology returns in person this Saturday and Sunday, April 9-10 at OC Fair & Events Center in Costa Mesa bringing a packed schedule of take-home crafts, science experiments, live performances by local entertainers, youth competitions, and more.
The free two-day event gives students a unique opportunity to explore careers and more in the STEAM fields of science, technology, engineering, arts, and math along with agriculture education.
After being canceled in 2020 and going virtual in 2021, this year the family festival returns with activities and entertainment for kids of all ages.
- Science exploration: Local exhibitors like Compass Charter Schools, YMCA of Orange County, and Gemology will provide hands-on experimentation. Plus, try a little physical science with activities like hula hoops, Recess Revolution's free-play area, or Heroes Hall Museum's Fort Blisters Boot Camp.
- Tech lessons: The Coder School and National College Resources Foundation will be on hand to talk about the future and the history of computers. Plus, OC Fair has a fun augmented reality activity in which kids can make their own coloring page come alive!
- Engineering playtime: From woodcarving and scroll saws to Rigamajigs and module trains, there will be plenty to put together at Imaginology. Harbor Soaring Society will host aerospace adventures, Brain Builders will show off robots and LEGOs and Imaginology's cardboard engineering competition will be on display.
- Arts in crafts, displays and more: Local entertainers such as dance groups, DJs and music groups will provide live entertainment at the Main Stage. There is also a plethora of hands-on crafting – many of which come with a take-home project! Plus, Imaginology's mural competition will be on display.
- Math by way of strategy: We can find math in just about everything (like having students count out the cash for a burger and brat!). But logic and mathematical reasoning is the way to win at chess, and the local Academic Chess chapter will host their annual Tournament of Champions on Saturday from 12:30 to 4 p.m. Registration is $30 at strategickids.com.
- Agricultural education: Livestock competitions and exhibits will be on display throughout Imaginology. Plus, OC Fair & Event Center's year-round Centennial Farm will feature activities such as radish seed planting, a terrarium makeshop, oxen demos, and more – and don't miss a peek at the piglets born on March 16. There will also be blacksmithing demonstrations at the Farm.
Imaginology will be held Saturday and Sunday, April 9-10, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Admission is free and most activities are included. Parking is $10. Limited food options will be available for purchase.
For more information, visit ocfair.com/steam.