The Orange County Museum of Art’s Retail Store, The MIND
Orange County Museum of Art’s new retail space called The MIND, will provide visitors to the museum with a unique shopping experience, with a distinctive selection of vintage and artist-designed products, some of which will be shown on a sculptural display piece by LA-based artist Sébastien Léon, whose design references the museum’s architecture. It will be operated by Emmanuel Renoird and Nicolas Libert, creators of the concept store Please Do Not Enter. The store will open within OCMA’s lobby in a retail space named for OCMA donors Bill Witte and Keiko Sakamoto.
The MIND will feature five sections, including:
- The Library offers a selection of artists' books, magazines, prints, as well as OCMA publications
- The Collection is a themed and rotating selection of mostly limited-edition jewelry, art, fashion, accessories, and design pieces
- The Vintage Gallery, carefully sourced vintage jewelry and fashion
- The OCMA Exclusive, a collection of exclusive OCMA merchandise developed in accord with the museum’s contemporary exhibitions
- The Post Office offers a free limited-edition postcard and complimentary postal service to inspire the re-discovery of the joy of handwritten missives
Products on sale include collaborations with:
- The Haas Brothers (US): Inspired by the ethereal landscape of the Joshua Tree National Park, Los Angeles-based artists Simon and Nikolai Haas create a family of characterful creatures. This fantastical world encompasses everything from candles & bowls to teapots & magnifying glasses.
- Klein Reid Studio (US): The studio founded by James Klein and David Reid in 1993 in Brooklyn, New York, marries timeless art-pottery methods and time-honored industrial techniques. The influential workshop is renowned for its elegant shapes, translucent porcelain, artisanal glazes, design integrity and impeccable craftsmanship. All work is made “from scratch” — hand produced, and hand glazed in-house.
- Kobja Paris (FR): A unique eco-friendly collection of fashion accessories for men and women, Kobja is created and developed by Monika Jarosz who only works with complete toad skins, which, once recovered, are tanned and transformed by taxidermists using a unique, detailed process.
- Tzuri Gueta (FR): Inspired by the organic world, Paris-based, award-winning designer Tzuri Guet’s jewelry, accessories and artwork are always suggestive of nature. His work explores the interplay of materials and the countless facets of his signature material silicone lace, for which he holds a patent. Since 1998 his creative textiles have featured regularly on Haute Couture dresses on the runways of major fashion shows and, more recently, on movie costumes.
- Iskin Sisters (SP): In 2004, Buenos Aires-based sisters Gabriela and Karina Isken launched their first collection of playful creations. They take inspiration from architecture, modern and contemporary art, natural landscapes, and the sense of wonder and excitement they both keep from their childhood together to create unique pieces made of unconventional jewelry materials such as leather, suede, and acrylic.
Other collaborators and artists working with The MIND include Christophe Coppens (BEL), Hugo Meert Studio (BEL), Vilac Studio (FR), Pierre Cardin (FR), Very Rare Paris (FR), Boom Art Studio (FR), Sebastien Leon (US), Mouchkine Jewelry (FR), YVMIN (CHIN) and Yukiko Kitahara (SP).
The inaugural programming at the Orange County Museum of Art’s new home located on the Segerstrom Center
Open Tuesday, Wednesday, Sunday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Thursday, Friday, Saturday 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. Free general admission is generously sponsored by Lugano Diamonds.
OCMA is at 3333 Avenue of the Arts in Costa Mesa.